Sunday, October 27, 2013

#5 Book Review: Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson


Summary:

“Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls.
“Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another.
I am that girl.
I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.
I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.


Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend’s restless spirit.

In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the multiple-award-winning Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia’s descent into the powerful vortex of anorexia, and her painful path toward recovery.

Pages? 278
Published On? March 19, 2009 by Viking Juvenile
Series? No

Quote:

“There is no magic cure, no making it all go away forever. There are only small steps upward; an easier day, an unexpected laugh, a mirror that doesn't matter anymore.” 

Rating:

Pacing: 8/10
Creativity: 8/10
Characters: 9/10
Writing: 10/10
Plot: 9/10

Total: 44/50 

5 stars

Thoughts: 

This is definitely one of my favorites of 2013 so far! :D It was definitely a heavy book with heavy subjects but I really enjoyed it. I loved the writing style! Throughout the entire book I just wanted to reach out and give Lia a big, long hug. I felt so bad for her and just wanted to help her. It felt so real and I loved that. Such a great book. <3




No comments:

Post a Comment